*This article may contain affiliate links. We receive a small percentage of sales made through them at no extra cost to the reader. For more information see our privacy page.
Wolves, Whales & Bears: American Safari 2013
American Safari is an epic three-month journey across the United States and Canada to see North America’s most magnificent wildlife. This is the official itinerary of American Safari. For more information visit American Safari Base Camp.
• Drive to Rodanthe, North Carolina
• Red Wolf 101 Program with the Red Wolf Coalition
• Pea Island Bird Walk
• Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
• Drove ALL DAY LONG. slept at a rest area for three hours in Michigan.
• Drive to Upper Peninsula, Michigan. Enter wolf territory!
• Drive to Ely, Minnesota (Stay on a house boat courtesy of Timber Bay Lodge & Houseboats
• International Wolf Center in Ely, MN
• North American Bear Center in Ely, MN
• Camp somewhere cool in Minnesota (Blueberry Hill) & listen for wolves.
• Drive to Canada! Arrive in Winnipeg (stay in Winnipeg courtesy of Tourism Winnipeg)
• International Polar Bear Conservation Center in Winnipeg
• Manitoba Museum in Winnipeg
• Narcisse Snake Dens
• Camp next to Setting Lake
• Drive to Thompson, Manitoba
• Tour of the Spirit Way in Thompson & speak to Thompson Chamber of Commerce.
• Board Via Rail train from Thompson to Churchill, Manitoba. Spend the night on the train
• Full day Tundra Buggy outing with Frontiers North Adventures looking for polar bears!
• Kayaking with Beluga Whales with Sea North Tours
• Snorkel with Beluga Whales with Sea North Tours
• Back country hike looking for fox dens with Nature 1st Tours
• Board train back to Thompson, night on train
• Arrive Thompson, Manitoba
• Tour Paint Lake by boat looking for wolves!
• Drive south and camp somewhere cool
• Arrive Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba
• Camp and search for wolves and other creatures
• Drive to Winnipeg
• Appear on Global Morning Show in Winnipeg?
• Drive south toward United States
• Drive across North Dakota and Montana
• Camp somewhere near Bozeman?
• Visit Bozeman
• Drive to Gardiner, Montana. Camp
• Enter Yellowstone National Park
• Look for creatures and camp
• One week of back country camping in Yellowstone with expert wolf tracking guide Nathan Varley courtesy of Yellowstone Wolf Tracker
• Drive northward and camp in the Rockies, Glacier National Park
• Enter Alberta Canada, Candian Rockies:
• Stay in Kanananskis courtesy of Mount Engadine Lodge
• Drive across British Columbia
• Drive to Bella Coola, British Columbia
• Stay at Great Bear Chalet
• Hike with Grizzly Bears
• Drive south to Vancouver
• Ferry to Vancouver Island
• Travel around Vancouver Island
• Bear Tour and Whale Tour with the Tofino Whale Center
September 30-October 14
• Nimmo Bay Wilderness Resort, British Columbia’s ultimate wildlife watching resort. Searching for whales, coastal wolves, grizzlies, and spirit bears.
October 15- 25
• Drive South to San Juan Islands, orca watching
• Drive to Antelope Island State Park, Utah (bison, pronghorns)
• Drive back to Asheville, NC