*This article may contain affiliate links. We receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you enjoy our content and want to support Travel For Wildlife, please visit our shop Truly Wild.
Wolves, Whales & Bears: American Safari 2013
American Safari is an epic three-month journey across the United States and Canada to see North America’s most magnificent wildlife. This is the official itinerary of American Safari. For more information visit American Safari Base Camp.
• Drive to Rodanthe, North Carolina
• Red Wolf 101 Program with the Red Wolf Coalition
• Nags Head Dolphin Watch Dolphin Tour
• Bear Necessities Black Bear Tour Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
• Red Wolf Howling
• Pea Island Bird Walk
• Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
• Drove ALL DAY LONG. slept at a rest area for three hours in Michigan.
• Drive to Upper Peninsula, Michigan. Enter wolf territory!
• Drive to Ely, Minnesota (Stay on a house boat courtesy of Timber Bay Lodge & Houseboats
• International Wolf Center in Ely, MN
• North American Bear Center in Ely, MN
• Camp somewhere cool in Minnesota (Blueberry Hill) & listen for wolves.
• Drive to Canada! Arrive in Winnipeg (stay in Winnipeg courtesy of Tourism Winnipeg)
• International Polar Bear Conservation Center in Winnipeg
• Manitoba Museum in Winnipeg
• Narcisse Snake Dens
• Camp next to Setting Lake
• Drive to Thompson, Manitoba
• Tour of the Spirit Way in Thompson & speak to Thompson Chamber of Commerce.
• Board Via Rail train from Thompson to Churchill, Manitoba. Spend the night on the train
• Full day Tundra Buggy outing with Frontiers North Adventures looking for polar bears!
• Kayaking with Beluga Whales with Sea North Tours
• Snorkel with Beluga Whales with Sea North Tours
• Back country hike looking for fox dens with Nature 1st Tours
• Board train back to Thompson, night on train
• Arrive Thompson, Manitoba
• Tour Paint Lake by boat looking for wolves!
• Drive south and camp somewhere cool
• camp Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba
• camp Duck Mountain Provincial Park, Manitoba
• Drive to Winnipeg
• Appear on Global Morning Show in Winnipeg
• Drive south toward United States
• Drive across North Dakota and Montana
• Camp Theodore Roosevelt National Park
• Drive over Beartooth Highway into Cooke City, Montana
• First drive into Yellowstone National Park
• Stay at Elkhorn Lodge, Cooke City
• Yellowstone National Park
• Look for creatures and stay in Silver Gate
• One week of back country camping in Yellowstone with expert wolf tracking guide Nathan Varley courtesy of Yellowstone Wolf Tracker
• Stay in Bozeman, Montana and get car repaired
• Camping Lewis & Clark National Forest, Montana
• Visit Glacier National Park, Montana (mountain goats!)
• Camp Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta
• Drive north through Frank Slide & Rocky Mountains Forest Reserve
• Stay in Kanananskis courtesy of Mount Engadine Lodge
• Banff National Park
• Lake Louise
• Lake Louise Gondola (grizzlies!)
• Yoho National Park
• Camp Takakkaw Falls
• Drive across British Columbia
• Free camping in BC
• Arrive Bella Coola, British Columbia
• Camp Tweedsmuir Provincial Park
• Stay at Great Bear Chalet
• Hike with Grizzly Bears
• Drive south to Vancouver
• Ferry to Vancouver Island
• Travel around Vancouver Island
• Bear Tour and Whale Tour with the Tofino Whale Center
September 30-October 14
• Nimmo Bay Wilderness Resort, British Columbia’s ultimate wildlife watching resort. Searching for whales, coastal wolves, grizzlies, and spirit bears.
October 15- 20
• Drive back to Asheville, NC